Welcome!

I am currently blogging about everything. Jump in where you are and thanks for coming by!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tuesday: Last minute substitution

I made a big mistake last night (what's new?) and I made the entire box of pasta instead of HALF the pasta as I wanted to for the pasta salad. Since I wanted to use the pasta right away I scrapped my plans for a chicken dinner and took the leftover rotini and made a spaghetti sauce. I used 1/2 chopped tomato, 1/2 chopped yellow pepper, 1/2 a chopped onion, 8 oz of sliced baby bella mushrooms, 2 links of turkey Italian sausage, and 1 small can of tomato sauce. I poured it over the lightly reheated pasta and topped it with mozzarella cheese.

YUM!

To best reheat pasta, never store it with or in any sauce. You can sprinkle it with water and microwave until just steamy, or do what my old bosses at the Italian restaurant used to do, put the pasta in a large strainer or small colander and place the whole thing for just a minute into a pot of boiling water. When done, simply lift the strainer out and it is just like fresh!

2 comments:

  1. Cool reheating tricks! I'm just amazed you keep all those veggies just around. I don't thunk ahead that well or throw things together with enough confidence to buy them and use them before they go bad. This is why we make at least 3 grocery runs per week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I always have onions, garlic, carrots and celery. I have to have them at all times; they go into everything. I bought the bell peppers on sale and anticipated using them for something or other, maybe chop them into a meatloaf or meatballs that would go straight to the freezer, something like that. Tomatoes are in season right now so I usually have them on hand for salads, sandwiches or pinch hitting for dinner. In the winter I always have potatoes and hard squashes and stuff like that lying around. I make a plan, but know I have to be flexible.

    ReplyDelete