Welcome!

I am currently blogging about everything. Jump in where you are and thanks for coming by!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year


So, I bought some wonton wrappers at the store today, plus some scallions and ginger and 1.85 pounds of ground pork. When I got home I realized the recipe only called for a pound of pork, whoops! I just cut the package in half, added a good handful of sliced purple cabbage, (that's what I had on hand). I also minced 2 scallions, added a half teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 TB of white wine and 1 tsp of corn starch. When you are making cabbage I find it always works better if you lightly salt it and put it in a colander to drain for awhile. At least 20 minutes or so will help it discharge some of the water and keep things crisp. I even wrung the cabbage out in some paper towels to really get it dry. I mixed all of the ingredients together and then took a tiny portion scoop and put about a teaspoon of filling in the middle of a wonton wrapper; to seal it simply wet your finger with water and push two sides together and really pinch them to seal. I made a little rectangle shape and then folded down the top two corner and sealed them. There are approximately a million videos on Youtube and Google that will show you a lot of ways to seal your wrappers, but the main thing is to make sure the edges are really sealed tightly. I steamed 2 dozen of them in a steamer basket over boiling water on the stove for about 6 minutes and then I fried them lightly in oil for about another 2 minutes.

The main discovery here was that I have found a way to get the kids to eat cabbage! They tore into these dumplings as soon as they were cool enough to eat.

As the dumplings were being eaten I boiled some spaghetti noodles to be my "long life noodles" and set them aside. The long unbroken noodles are meant to symbolize a long healthy life! So I took my cue from that and sliced a bunch of vegetables into long thin strips. I cut up bell pepper, carrots, purple cabbage, scallions, and some cauliflower. I sauteed them in oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper and a about a half teaspoon of ground ginger. I made a slurry of corn starch and soy sauce and sizzled it all together, When the veggies were done I added half the noodles to the to the pan and tossed the veggies and noodles together. A few more dashes of soy sauce and my long life noodles were done!

Happy Chinese New Year to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment