Welcome!

I am currently blogging about everything. Jump in where you are and thanks for coming by!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday: Appetizers for Dinner

We are going to a friend's house for the Superbowl tonight. I am bringing meatballs, crudité tray with spinach dip, rice crispy treats and red velvet cupcakes. We also made some Mango Vodka slushy drinks. (Thank you for the mix Deb!)

The meatballs are pretty darn easy, pre-cooked and frozen, you re-heat them in the microwave and then put them in your favorite sauce. My favorite meatball sauce is, I swear I am not making this up, a mixture of grape jelly and ketchup. I think my grandmother taught me to make it. If you are reheating your meatballs in the crockpot you simply add enough jelly and ketchup to the pot so that when it melts you have sauce. I got home late today from shopping so no crockpot for me. I melted them together on the stove top in a pan. The funny thing is my ketchup and grape jelly are ORGANIC. Love it! Betty Crocker meets Alice Waters!

The spinach dip is also kind of funny. I didn't have any sour cream to make the dip so I subbed in 16 oz. of Stonyfield Organic plain yogurt, 1 C of Hellman's Olive Oil mayo, and a package of Knorr vegetable soup/dip mix. I had the 3 scallions the recipe called for but I didn't have any frozen chopped spinach. I subbed in some gorgeous organic baby spinach, steamed and chopped and well-drained. So since we are eating the dip with carrots, bell pepper strips, celery and cherry tomatoes... I think I made something healthy for the Superbowl feast!

Today at church was the annual Souper Bowl of Caring food drive led by our local Boy Scouts troop. It is a nationwide effort to "tackle hunger" in America. You can get involved in a local chapter by following the instructions in the link. Superbowl Sunday is the 2nd biggest feast day in America right behind Thanksgiving. If you can please share some of your food and good fortune with the less fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment