Welcome!

I am currently blogging about everything. Jump in where you are and thanks for coming by!

Friday, January 28, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!



So my kid has a long history of asking for crazy things for dinner when she makes good grades on her report card. One time she requested a cupcake frosted with macaroni and cheese with propellers on top. I made a meatloaf cupcake, with extra sticky mac and cheese and then crisply fried bacon propellors. Bacon propellors... it's what's for dinner. Today she requested a cake for dinner. So I decided to go with the meatloaf thing, as it had worked before. It is a sort of shepherd's pie actually, I baked a meatloaf in my 8" round cake pan, taking care to pack it firmly into the pan. What I did NOT do, but SHOULD have done was grease the pan! Whoops. It took about 40 minutes for my "cake" to bake, but pulling it out of the pan was a challenge. It stuck all around the edges and sort of fell apart. There might have been a mild swearing and spatula flinging break at this point, I can't quite remember. Anyhow I managed to peel some of the meatloaf out of the pan and plug it into the broken spots and then I frosted it all over with cheesy mashed potatoes. I added a cup (maybe a cup and half) of shredded cheese to the hot potatoes, a little bit of butter, but no milk to make it thick and sticky and spreadable. I sort of "spackled" the cake together. Then I scraped a carrot clean and made some carrot curl "rosettes" for the top. This wasn't the prettiest experiment I have ever made, but the Girl of Honor ate two helpings, so I am sure it was all fine.

I also made a box mix of chocolate cake for dessert. I baked it in two round 8 inch pans. I need to go make some vanilla buttercream frosting to finish it now that it is cool. Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment